Jyoti Unni`s journey into the world of Classical Odissi Dance began at the age of ten under the guidance of Guru Rabindra Kumar Swain in Orissa. Since her ` Manchapravesh` (debut in stage performance) in 1987, she has performed at several prestigious functions and events apart from giving lecture –demonstrations in India & Singapore. An exponent of Guru Deba Prasad Das style of Odissi, Jyoti is continuing under the able tutelage of renowned artiste of this style Smt. Sangeeta Dash.
Jyoti holds the `Sangeet Prabhakar` degree in Classical Odissi Dance from Prayag Sangit Samiti ,Allahabad, with distinction. In her formal education she is a Masters in Agricultural marketing Management.
With her striking stage presence, precise dance techniques & abhinaya (facial expressions),Jyoti has won popular praise among audience in India & Singapore.
In Singapore:(2003 – 2007)
- Lecture demonstration on Odissi for the Rotary club of Singapore-2007
- Festival of Indian Classical Music & Dance organized by the Singapore Indian Fine Arts Society-2005.
- Inauguration of `Chalo Dilli` exhibition on Indian National Army ,organized by National Archives of Singapore.
- `Mahakumbabishegam` consecration ceremony at Ruthra Kaliamman Temple.
- National day Celebrations.
- `Discovery Open House` on Indian culture sponsored by Discovery channel.
- Presented a lecture demonstration -`Journey into the world of classical Odissi dance` for the National library board.
- `Diwali` celebrations of parents association at International school.
- `Parampara` series at the Soorya Festival , Trivandrum November 2006.
- `Swathi Sangeetholsavam-2002`organized by Swaralaya, Palakkad.
- Lecture demonstration on Indian Dance for Chinese Delegation ,Palakkad.
- South Asian Friendship Youth Camp, Puri
- All India Inter-University Lecture demonstration on dance at Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Odissi Nrutya Mahotsav, Bhubaneswar.
- Performed at several All India Workshops, college & Hostel functions at the Agricultural University in Bhubaneswar.
- Silver Jubilee celebrations at Regional Engineering College, Rourkela.
- `Sageet Utsav` 1989 & 1991 organized by Steel Authority of India Ltd,Rourkela. Won the first prize in Junior Category in 1989.
- Played lead roles in dance productions like `Krishnavtaar`, `Urvashi`, `Ramayana`,`Dashavtaar` under the aegis of `Kutapo-Centre of Classical Odissi dance.
- Jyoti has performed over television and judged dance competitions.
Jyoti Unni can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org